Wednesday, January 30, 2008

It's Not Not OK to Drink!


I was driving on Demers Ave. in GF, when I noticed a huge billboard informing minors that "It's Not Not OK" to drink. How are people going to take this campaign seriously when the sign, though its use of a double negative, is actually telling minors that it is, in fact, OK to drink alcohol?

I wonder who comes up with this stuff, and how much of our tax money was wasted because of a pretty obvious error. Yes, I know the meaning and intent of the campaign, and it's a good idea. Hell, I'm all for reducing underage drinking. However, I can just imagine the drinking games that will be created due to this effort ("I have an idea! We all take a shot whenever somebody in the room say 'OK'!")

It reminds me of the sign I used to pass every day in Silver Spring, MD, informing teenagers that there is "No No Skateboarding" allowed, all due to word "No" that was intentionally crossed out by the team that designed the sign.

This sign, combined with the glaring "it's/its" error on the mayor's "Welcome to Grand Forks" sign over the luggage carousel at the airport, makes me wonder how much drinking is taking place in town hall.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're a stickler for spelling and gramatical errors, you should read the book Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss. (That is if you haven't already.)

Anonymous said...

Combine the Mayor's two slogans and you get...

"A Destination City, It's Not Okay"

Maybe this guy is smarter than I give him credit for.

Mr.Mize said...

HAHA, I noticed this too. If anything it gives me a much needed smile on my way to work so cheers to whoever made this sign!

Anonymous said...

This kind of thing drives me bonkers. Can they afford the advertising creative and media placement, but not a proof reader?

Anonymous said...

It's NOT not NOT OKAY to not not EXIST as MIDNIGHTS! Call the boys and get them together. Not not!

Beth Lemer said...

As a now adult daughter of a chief of police, I completely understand this sign. For when I was a teenage daughter of a chief of police, it only encouraged me more to OVER drink.
Thank you, city of grand forks and UND, for encouraging my underage overdrinking, I had a pretty good time! ;o)

Coffee Guy said...

My wife pointed out that the photo on that billboard is of a person drinking out of what seems to be a screw-top plastic bottle. It looks like a soda bottle, not beer, cider, wine cooler, or whatever else they are trying to fool us into thinking it is.